Finished the basics mentioned in our Spring cleaning your home article?
Want to get down to the nitty gritty? Here’s your room-by- room spring-cleaning checklist.
• Wash bedding, vacuum mattress and flip and/or turn mattress.
• Clear out stuff from under bed and in your night table drawer.
• Dust furniture, vacuum / sweep and wash floors.
• Move your spring and summer clothes to the most easily accessed part of the closet.
• Send winter clothes to the cleaners to be cleaned or mended.
• Take extra hangers back to cleaners.
• Have winter boots and shoes mended at the cobbler.
• Send ill fitting/ rarely worn/ impulse buy clothes or shoes to Goodwill or local shelters. You can also put them aside for friends, or have a clothing swap, or sell on e-bay or Craigslist for some extra dough.
• Wipe out cutlery drawers and cupboards and then wipe down fronts.
• Clean that stove, inside and out! Many stoves have a self-cleaning option these days, which makes cleaning a breeze.
• Wipe out fridge and freezer. Get rid of old condiments and freezer burned items. If you are feeling particularly brave you could even pull out the fridge and see what is back there. Eek!
• Have a look at the canned items you have in your cupboard. If there things that have been there since your last move years ago, maybe it’s time to toss.
• Spices. *See canned items above.
• Give your small appliances a good cleaning.
• Get rid of chipped, cracked or mismatched cookware/cutlery.
• Go through drawers/cupboards and pass on anything you never use. (I’m talking to you pineapple corer.)
• Pull all your loose recipes together in a book or folder for easy access.
• Wash floors/ wipe counters. Pat yourself on the back!
• Scrub the tub, floor, tile sink and toilet.
• Don’t forget to wash out that cup you put your toothbrushes in and the soap dish.
• Get into that cupboard and clear out old toothbrushes, dull razors, conditioners that didn’t deliver on their promises…you get the picture.
• Medicine chest. Send expired meds to the pharmacy to be safely disposed of.
• Wash your shower curtain or maybe it’s time for a replacement? Something pretty for spring?
• Wash and dry towels, housecoats, facecloths, bathmats.
• Remove the couch/chair cushions, collect all the dropped change and then give it a good vacuum. Got removable slipcovers? Wash or get them cleaned as instructed.
• Dust picture frames.
• Give remotes a cleaning.
• Dust media equipment.
• Collect old newspapers and magazines and recycle.
• Sweep out the fireplace.
• Organize DVDs, books.
• Vacuum/sweep or wash floors.
• Wipe down electronics
• Go through paper stacks and shred what you don’t need, file what you do.
• Wipe down bookshelves
• Dust desk and furniture.
• Buy magazine/ document holders to tidy paper clutter.
• Clear old receipts/paper/notes from bulletin board.
• Clear out desk drawers.
• Dispose or fix items that no longer work.
• Empty garbage bins and recycle boxes.
If that’s not enough, maybe it’s time to get into that linen closet and refold and reorganize sheets and towels. Perhaps you should get into the storage cubby under the stairs to deal with those old skis and Christmas decorations from your childhood … and we haven’t even touched on the outside shed yet!Tags:Spring, Spring clean, To-do list, Victoria Adilman-Chan